This Man - By Jodi Ellen Malpas *Review* #COYER

This Man Series - Book 1 | Add to Goodreads
| Amazon | Kobo | Nook |
Young interior designer Ava O’Shea has an appointment for a first consultation at The Manor with the owner, Mr Jesse Ward. She is expecting nothing more than an overweight, cravat wearing, well-to-do countryman, and on arrival, nothing would suggest otherwise. How wrong could she be? This Man is devastatingly handsome, charming and confident. He is also a conceited, hedonistic playboy, who knows no boundaries. Ava desperately does not want to be attracted to him, but she can’t control the overwhelming affect he has on her. Every instinct is telling her to run, so she does, but Jesse Ward is not so willing to let her go. He wants her and is determined to have her. She knows she is heading for heartbreak, but how can she run when he won’t let her?
I wanted to like this. The amount of hype around this series made me think I would like this. But I hated it! Am I going crazy here or is everyone else reading a different book?

First Jesse Ward is a despicable male character. There is a difference between a dominating man and a man who is pushy, demanding, rude, aggressive, condescending and controlling. Jesse Ward is the latter. I hated that he called her "Lady," it wasn't endearing or sweet, it made me think of when I am telling my friends off and say "woman, you listen to me."

Not to mention the fact it was a constant reminder of Jesse Ward's weird belief in how a woman should act - newsflash sucker, ladylike etiquette went out with arranged marriages, finishing school and, oh yes, female subservience! His counting is overkill and downright ridiculous. If I ever met a man who COUNTED DOWN to condition my behaviour I would have him hogtied, locked in a box and mailed to Timbuktu faster than you can say "make me."

Besides these faults Jesse Ward harrasses Ava despite her blatant refusal of his advances due to her JOB! Going as far to orchestrate a highly unprofessional situation. Maybe everyone else finds his aggressive pursuit sweet and romantic but I simply see it as a disregard for a woman's right to refuse a man. There is no romance in stalking.

Now Ava. My god woman grow a backbone. 

Ava is flaky, immature, indecisive and constantly confused about EVERYTHING. She irritated me from the moment she met Jesse Ward. Such a cringe worthy encounter had me practically hiding my face in shame for the inability of a woman to control her vagina. It wasn't sexy or hot to hear how awkward she was due to, here's the kicker, the physical appearance of a man. 

Yup. 

Ava, a professional and successful interior designer turns into a stumbling fool in front of a good looking man. Heaven save me from la-la heads such as Ava. Besides that she is constantly changing her mind, second guessing herself, making rash decisions and packing tantrums like a two year old. By the end of the book I was happy they were together because these two ninny's could never find a more perfect partner. GOOD RIDDANCE.

I only read this book so I could review number three in the series so stick around if you want to know how it ended up. (Note: I skipped book two because I couldn't handle three full books about them. Sorry.)


COYER Note: This book was bought on sale for less than $5.

No comments:

Post a Comment